1. What did Patrick think his cat was playing with? What was it really? (2)
Ans: Patrick thought that his cat was playing with a little doll. It was, in fact, a very small-sized man, an elf.
2. Why did the little man grant Patrick a wish? (2)
Ans: Patrick had saved the tiny man’s life from the cat by not handing him back to the cat. So he promised to fulfil one wish of Patrick.
3. What was Patrick’s wish? (3)
Ans: Patrick hated doing homework. His greatest wish was that the little man should do all his homework till the end of the session.
4. In what subjects did the little man need help, to do Patrick’s homework? (5, 6)
Ans: The little man needed Patrick’s help in maths, English and history.
5. How did Patrick help him? (7)
Ans: Patrick sat beside the little man and guided him. He brought books from the library and read out to him.
6. Who do you think did Patrick’s homework – the little man, or Patrick himself? Give reasons for your answer. (9, 10)
Ans: It was Patrick himself who actually did all the homework. He had to help the elf again and again with guidance and books.
MORE QUESTIONS SOLVED
I.SHORT ANSWER TYPE QUESTIONS
1. What was Patrick’s chief interest?
Ans: Patrick’s chief interest was to play hockey, football and video games.
2. What warning did the teachers give to Patrick?
Ans: The teachers noticed that Patrick never did his homework. So they warned him that he would remain a fool, an illiterate person.
3. How did Patrick get his wish granted by the elf?
Ans: Patrick saved the life of the elf from a cat. So the elf promised to fulfil one wish of his saviour. ‘
4. What made Patrick believe that he was lucky?
Ans: Patrick hated homework and loved sports. He called himself lucky when the tiny man agreed to do all his homework.
5. Why did the little man’s face wrinkle and frown?
Ans: The little man was an elf. He had not studied maths or English. So he was angry when called upon to do Patrick’s homework.
6. The little man kept his word. But there was one glitch. What was it?
Ans: The little man did not go back on his promise. But his problem was that he did not know maths, English or human history.
7. The little elf was a nag. How did it tell upon Patrick’s health?
Ans: The little elf agreed to do Patrick’s homework. But he had a problem. He was always seeking Patrick’s help. Overwork tired him and caused swelling in his eyes.
8. What changes came in Patrick’s behaviour in the end?
Ans: In the end, Patrick became a model boy. He cleaned his room, did all his daily work, became cheerful and polite.
II.LONG ANSWER TYPE QUESTIONS
1. Who did Patrick’s homework? Why and how?
Ans: Patrick had no interest in studies. He hated doing homework. He was lucky to get a helper. It was an elf. He had saved the elf from a cat and the elf promised to do all Patrick’s homework for 35 days. But the poor elf was blank in English. and maths. He sought Patrick’s help and guidance. Patrick brought books from the library and worked hard to solve all sums. He got good marks. Actually, it was Patrick himself who did all his homework.
2. How did Patrick get supernatural help? Was the elf intelligent enough to answer questions in all the subjects?
Ans: One day Patrick found his cat playing with a doll. He rescued the tiny doll, who in fact was an elf. He promised to grant his saviour one wish. Patrick told him to do all his homework for 35 days. The elf had to keep his word. But he was quite ignorant of language and maths and even other subjects. He called out to Patrick to come and guide him.
3. Give the characteristic features of the elf which helped Patrick.
Ans: Patrick saved a little doll from his cat. That doll was, in fact, a very small sized man, an elf. He was timid. He felt grateful to his saviour. In return, he promised to grant Patrick a wish. He could not say ‘no’ to any of Patrick’s requests. He agreed to do Patrick’s homework. But he was illiterate. He sought Patrick’s guidance at eveiy step.