Factors responsible for progress of Physics
- Quantitative analysis along with qualitative analysis.
- Application of universal laws in different contexts.
- Approximation approach (complex phenomena broken down into collection of basic laws).
- Extracting and focusing on essential features of a phenomenon.
Hypothesis, Axiom and Models
Hypothesis is a supposition without assuming that it is true. It may not be proved but can be verified through a series of experiments.
Axiom is a self-evident truth that it is accepted without controversy or question.
Model is a theory proposed to explain observed phenomena.
Assumption is the basis of physics, where a number of phenomena can be explained. These assumptions are made from experiments, observation and a lot of statistical data.
Technological applications of Physics
Several examples where Physics and its concepts have led to discoveries/inventions are listed below.
- Steam engine was developed from the industrial revolution in eighteenth century.
- Wireless communication was developed after discovery of laws of electricity and magnetism.
- Neuron-induced fission of uranium, done by Hahn and Meitner in 1938, led to the formation of nuclear power reactors and nuclear weapons.
- Conversion of solar, wind, geothermal etc.energy into electricity.